Monday, September 15, 2014

My Own Art

Fiber has always spoken to me.

I love the textures of different fabrics and different weights of yarn.

The first drawings that I made were representations of flowers made out of fabric, different quilt blocks.

I also found I could draw from photographs of embroidery or patterns woven or printed on fabric.

On Master Naturalist field trips, I felt impelled to make simple botanical line drawings.

In that way, my fiber art is emerging.

I love combining different textures and shapes into journal covers.

I am struggling my way through a book on drawing birds.

I know the act o wielding the colored pencils to create the form will yield a better understanding of color, line and shadow.

It will come out in a different way in my fiber art.

Although occasionally I take a class, I am more influence by the artist blogs that I see.

I see how their work represents their feelings, their techniques, their materials.

I see how it speaks to me.

And then I let my materials, my techniques, my feelings, stitch and draw and crochet and arrange themselves in to my own fiber art.

It is an emerging process every day.


© 2014 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment