Monday, July 25, 2016

Drawing

I found a pencil drawing of a rose I did a while back, (because it was in a box I just unpacked from the warehouse), and I was glad to see it.

I started drawing in 2010 while making very simple sketches during Nature walks for Master Naturalist Certification.  (This means I now know the kinds of questions to ask about things in the natural world.)

I continued drawing from those first field notes, i.e. how many leaves, smooth or jagged edges, etc.

Gradually I have gained confidence.

One of my daily meditation practices involved choosing a word and then drawing basic shapes and lines around it, kind of “zentangle” style.  I use a several different sizes of micron pens for that.






It all contributes to controlling a line.

I realized, on seeing my rose sketch, that I am becoming more confident.

I am really glad, because I like the quiet and contemplative atmosphere of drawing (especially after performing and teaching music for so long!).

Since I started drawing for fun, it has remained in that category for me.

I am really grateful to have given that opportunity to myself.

© 2016 Kathryn Hardage

www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment