Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Multi-Family Solution

I look at the frantic pace of today’s Western culture and observe the cost on families.

At the time that I was involved in it, my husband and I were raising five of the seven children as a combined family due to divorce and remarriage.

I also had a daytime teaching job and an after school music program which I taught from my home Studio.

Around those heavy demands, I planned menus, went grocery shopping, prepared meals, kept the house in order, ran kids to various activities and lessons.

It was nuts!

In between chanting prayers to combat exhaustion, I would listen for and observe any possible solutions.

I implemented mass cooking and freezing of meals on the weekends.

I arranged for transportation to activities and lessons for my children.

I got help for the yard.

I got help for the house.

And then, all the children grew up and graduated and got jobs and went to college.

And I could breathe.

Now, I am watching the same thing happen to the next generation.

I am looking at each individual family trying to do all those things for themselves.

And I am hearing about co-housing and communities and cooperatives.

And those people actually sound sane.

So, I find myself creating the same multi-family model over and over again.

It goes like this:

A minimum of four families can share whatever work, income, services which are required.

More families can be added up to a comfortable number for community.

So, who do share values with?

Who do you trust to share with in a balanced and comfortable way?

Work out the details of housing, services and income producers in small cooperative agreement steps.

See what works and keep expanding on it.

© 2016 Kathryn Hardage

Inspired Practices - FB

No comments:

Post a Comment