Thursday, November 27, 2014

Musical Retrograde

In an operetta by Paul Hindemith’s, (I have searched for its name but cannot find it), the action takes place up to a certain point, and at the climax, the entire opera is sung and acted backwards, or in what is called retrograde.

I feel like that is happening simultaneously in my life as I am continuing to move forward in a different line from the one which I started on.

The old life is backing out of my way even though it makes gallant attempts to restage itself, but there are no longer any actors nor audience.

I am writing a new score, and I like all the new parts.

All the action takes place in the present moment.

I validate it with my decisions, which I like, and my values, which I also endorse.

Lest this sound too self-centered, it is not.

I am simply aware that I am making the choices which I wish to see, instead of acting out the old dimensions which were around me in the past.

So my musical retrograde is over.

It is becoming easier to draw the curtain on the performance and go off to write entirely new scenes which I enjoy.


© 2014 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com


No comments:

Post a Comment